Coffee & Community, Since 1996.
Our way of doing business is built on integrity and trust. We are guided by a set of values that affects every decision we make with regard to our customers, farmers, products and employees. We are fortunate to have attracted a diverse group of people who love coffee and are motivated to reach beyond the borders of their community.
In 2008 we became Carbon Neutral by planting 16,900 shade trees in coffee growing areas. Our goal is to stay that way. We continually track our efforts through The Specialty Coffee Association's START program.
Please read our most recent Carbon Footprint report here.
Our ongoing carbon-reducing efforts include:
- Zero emission delivery via B-line trike
- One of Oregon’s first Nissan Leaf electric cars
- Delivery vans which can operate on biodiesel fuel
- Organic coffee line certified by Oregon Tilth
- Wind Power for a portion of our electricity
- Motion-activated lights installed in our warehouse
You'll see Portland Roasting’s employees toting their own mugs and riding their bikes to work. We also know that the important changes are the ones that not everyone sees.
- Composting organic waste to the tune of 1000/lbs per month
- Chaff waste from roasting donated to organic farmers
- Piloted the Ecotainer compostable cup
- Burlap bags donated for farming, crafts and beekeeping
- Compostable bags for wholesale and grocery
- Office, kitchen and toiletry papers 80%+ post-consumer waste
- Shipping boxes 100% post consumer waste
- Roast Magazine - Roaster of the Year, 2012
- SCAA - Sustainability Award
- Rotary Club of Portland - Environmental Achievement Award
- Portland Business Journal - Top 100 Fastest Growing Companies
- Best New Product Packaging, SCAA
- Oregon Ethics in Business, Finalist